Saturday 27 April 2013

Essaouira Gnaoua and World Music Festival 2013


I saw yesterday that they have posted the line-up for this year's Essaouira Gnaoua and World Music Festival. You can find it here: and the festival's site is here: http://www.festival-gnaoua.net/en/

Maggie and I won't be going this year. This will be the first one we've missed since I started recording in 2007. In fact the last one we missed was in 2004. This year's line-up looks pretty traditional with surprisingly few sub-Saharan artists, apart of course from the wonderful Yousou N'Dour, who'll be performing at Scene Meditel on the Saturday.

It was a short clip I took of Yousou N'Dour when he last played there in 2005 that made me start recording and then filming in the first place. We'll be very sorry to miss him this year, but we can always look back on this:


That was when Place Bab Marrakech was stil being used. It was a great venue. We were staying in the Hotel L'Heure Bleu, it might have been our first time there and we didn't get the suite with the balcony overlooking the stage until 2007. I took the video above from the roof of the hotel using a little Sony Sureshot - just thought about it just before the end - and didn't post it until 2007 when I started recording audio. 2007, that was a truly great year - perhaps the best since we first went in 1999 or 2000.


No comments:

Post a Comment